Twitter / SageYarn

Monday, June 1, 2009

Patterns of the Month, June 2009

We're featuring two patterns for our very first Patterns of the Month!
This month this is an in-store special (the website isn't set up for it)

Pick your yarn & your pattern and SAVE 15%! on your purchase :-D

Flower Child and Pucker - both from Norah Gaughan Volume 4, new this spring.

Pucker

Pucker is a t-shirt style summertime knit made in Berroco Seduce. I picked it because it is a simple knit but has a few design features that may be new to you. You mostly knit and purl, in stockinette stitch (you can do that!) but when you get to the neckline you get to use decreases and increases to make the pucker detail along the bust. The short, swingy sleeves are just a bit different from the tight cap sleeves that were in fashion last year.

It is also a pretty flattering knit for many different body types. Click here to check out all of the projects on Ravelry. This is a size 34" on me, a size 32" bust. I have big arms for my bust size and while I do have a waist I have pretty wide hips just below it. I would probably leave the pucker off the bottom edge for my pear self but I love, love, love the neckline.

I forgot to smile because the camera timer was driving me crazy!


Sizes available from 32" to 54"! Adding length to the body or leaving off the bottom pucker are both super easy alterations - email me if you want to do either and need some helpful hints.

Yarn! Pucker is knit in Seduce (I used Seduce Colors), which is a pretty unique yarn. It is silky but not super slippery, textured but not bumpy and comes in beautiful colors. It is a "worsted" weight yarn, meaning you can get a gauge of 5 sts to the inch on US 8 needles but the resulting fabric is a little mesh-like. I think it's beautiful but if you're looking for something a bit more solid check out Hempathy or Butterfly Cotton. You will have to do a gauge swatch to see what needle size to use with this alternative but you will get a much more solid fabric while keeping the swingy style fabric.
Pucker
sizes
to fit bust size 30(34-38-42-46-50-54)”
finished measurements
bust – 30(34-38-42-46-50-54)”
length – 21(21½-22-23-23½-24½-25)”
materials
Seduce or Seduce Colors
6(7-8-9-10-11-12), 40 gr balls



Flower Child
I picked Flower Child because I'm totally in love with it. From the moment I saw a preview copy from our Berroco rep last fall I knew I'd be making one. I have only swatched so far but you'll be seeing me around town in one pretty soon! Flower Child is plain on the back, making for some more simple knitting, while you have to pay more attention when you're working on the front. There area few more skills on this one - knit, purl, increase, decrease, make bobble, cable, yarn over.

There are two versions of this tee - a short version and a long version. The one in the modeled photo is the longer version while the sample that was sent to us is the short version. This design is also one that looks good on all different bodies - click here to check out the projects on Ravelry. I'm knitting the shorter version due to my hips; I'm a pear and the upper detail will balance out my natural hippiness on a shorter version.
This is my sister in the smallest size, short version. Shhh!! Don't tell her I posted this photo!

Yarn: This one is knit in Berroco's new Pure Pima, which I highly recommend. It comes in beautiful, rich shades and it is a VERY high quality cotton for a great price. It won't sag out of shape, especially in a design like this one, so you can feel confident that your finished garment will look great! We have a few good yarn substitutions if Pure Pima doesn't have your color - check out Scarlett, Hempathy, Cotton Bamboo, and Bambool. You will have to swatch with this pattern no matter what yarn you pick. Please, please swatch!

Flower Child
sizes
to fit bust size 30(34-38-42-46-50)”
finished measurements
bust – 30(34-38-42-46-50)”
long version – 28(29-3031-32-33)”
shorter version – 21(22½-24½-26-n/a-n/a)
materials
Pure Pima
long version – 8(10-11-13-14-16), 50 gr hanks
shorter version – 7(8-9-11-n/a,n/a) 50 gr hanks

No comments: